Serial Season 2 Episode 10 – Thorny Politics

I feel like the complex workings of national and international politics doesn’t affect my sympathy towards Bergdahl’s case the way it does most people. For me personally, a deserter is still a human being, and after hearing the suffering Bergdahl endured for years, he deserved to be rescued no matter what the costs were. By […]

Serial Season 2 Episode 9 – Trade Secrets

In order to bring Bergdahl back to America and potentially end conflict, the U.S. had to participate in negotiations the Taliban. Despite the American public disapproving of the idea of America having peaceful talks with a terrorist organization, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton insisted on finding peace. The U.S. wanted Bergdahl, and the Taliban wanted […]

Trade Secrets

In this episode Sarah Koenig tells listeners about the circumstances surrounding Bowe’s release. For years, while Bowe was in captivity, there were people in the US working on his release. Ultimately, it came down to President Obama agreeing to the release of five Guantanamo Bay prisoners in exchange for Bowe’s release. This was controversial because […]

Serial: Episode 9 Response

Aliyah Bryan Professor Morris Serial Response #9 November 2nd, 2016 Episode 9 of Serial showed just how difficult, controversial, and fragile diplomacy is. There is no one single way to go about it. It’s up to the diplomats to decide they best way to conduct business between nations. In this case, the manner in which […]

Serial 2 Episode 9: Trade Secrets

The possibility of Bowe coming home was dependent on peace between the U.S. and the Taliban. The preservation of diplomacy, negotiations, and state sovereignty was essential to make certain of Bowe’s recovery. Sovereignty was one of the main players in the game of negotiations, the U.S.’s relationships with states, and dealing with states where we … Continue reading Serial 2 Episode 9: Trade Secrets