Quotes from “Sidewalks” pages 107-132

“…It’s [New York City’s] architecture and spatial organization have been dominated historically by an “essentially horizontal perception of the urban form” that endured well into the nineteenth century” (Lindner 109). “…the rise of vertical New York in the late nineteenth century occurred in the context of an urban environment originally intended for horizontality” (Lindner 109). … Continue reading Quotes from “Sidewalks” pages 107-132

Reactions to “The Mindful Traveler”

I had never really considered the impacts that my traveling has on other people, but this article was a sort of rude awakening. As a prospective Anthropology/Sociology major, I had heard some similar conclusions about travel, in general, but never to this extent. Though there are several thoughts that I don’t fully agree with, once … Continue reading Reactions to “The Mindful Traveler”

Quotes from “The Mutable City”

“New York changes so constantly – so relentlessly – that even insiders frequently find themselves in outsider positions…” (Lindner 4). “… New York has always been framed by outsider views…” (Lindner 4). There are many views of New York City: people have called it chaotic, beautiful, utopian, etc. A definition of modern: “the city produced … Continue reading Quotes from “The Mutable City”

Week 1: Personal Identity

The spring semester just started, so the first day of Global 102 was marked by introductions. We meet our professors, and we were informed of what to expect in the class. The class was then put into groups where we got to converse with our trip mates, and think up questions to ask our professors about […]