Reflections on “A Small Place”

Jamaica Kincaid’s A Small Place is about Antigua, a small country in the Caribbean. Kincaid, who is from Antigua, chronicles the effects of tourism, imperialism and slavery on the current day lifestyle and government structure of the country. When I started reading this, I was reminded of the article “The Mindful Traveler.” We really don’t … Continue reading Reflections on “A Small Place”

Quotes from “Sidewalks” pages 138-165

“The modern city is overwhelming and relentless in its assault on the senses and the blasé attitude, which is characterized by a posture of disinterest, serves as a form of protection against the mental invasions of the city…” (Lindner 138). “…much critical thinking and creative practice in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries is … Continue reading Quotes from “Sidewalks” pages 138-165

Reflections on “Call it Sleep” by Henry Roth

In Call it Sleep, Henry Roth tells the story of a young immigrant child named Daniel, who comes with his mother to New York City. However, it is not the story of the child which is the truly amazing part of this piece. Rather,  what is amazing is that Roth manages to convey the dialect … Continue reading Reflections on “Call it Sleep” by Henry Roth

January 19-21, 2016: Preparing for the Course

This week we spent most of our time preparing for assignments within the course itself. On Tuesday, January 19, we reviewed the syllabus once more, taking time to go over the specific requirements for each assignment, such as the digital portfolio. We then went around the room and introduced ourselves, telling the class out name and what … Continue reading January 19-21, 2016: Preparing for the Course

Reflections on “How to Walk in New York,” “Lee Friedlander Captures the City’s Hustle and Flow” and “The Geographically Impossible West Village”

I have heard the New York City streets described as a grid so many times. Upon hearing this description, the first thing that comes to mind is that the New York sidewalks and streets are orderly. However, looking at the streets, I know that this is not true. The sidewalks and streets are a mess. … Continue reading Reflections on “How to Walk in New York,” “Lee Friedlander Captures the City’s Hustle and Flow” and “The Geographically Impossible West Village”